Phone: +61 (0)7 3077 6770
Fax: +61 (0)7 3077 6769
Address: Unit 4, 35 Limestone Street,
Darra, Queensland 4076, Australia
Tunnel Ventilation and Underground Fire Life Safety
|Being a practice area based on fundamental fluid mechanics and thermodynamic principles, tunnel ventilation is a core business of Stacey Agnew. We offer design, planning, and measurement services for all types of major underground infrastructure including road, rail and cable tunnels, and underground rail and bus stations. Through our experience and appreciation of civil, structural, construction, and operational constraints, we develop practical and cost-effective tunnel ventilation designs.Stacey Agnew works collaboratively with operators, designers and constructors, as well as providing advisory services to regulators and owners.Our specific local and overseas project experience includes:
- Engineering design and documentation of tunnel ventilation plant for air quality, normal operating heat and fire (smoke).
- Test and measurement including aerodynamic and thermodynamic assessments, data acquisition and analysis, and experimental validation of simulations.
- Dynamic simulation of airflow and pollution in road and rail tunnel networks to provide certainty in design outcomes. (Ventilation control systems for tunnels are often a “learned” process, being adjusted once the tunnel is in operation. Dynamic simulation allows a more scientific and systematic approach to the initial setup, reducing the learning time and providing a more robust solution by choosing the most appropriate control loop setup).
- Smart control system design coupling dynamic modelling of the tunnel aerodynamics with control algorithms including state-of-the-art predictor strategies.
- Engineering design and scheme assessment of normal operation and emergency systems.
- Design optimisation for minimising installed infrastructure and reducing operational energy costs.
- Algorithms for predicting vehicle emissions.
- Stack dispersion and near-field air quality including assessment of portal emissions using computational fluid dynamics (CFD).
- Ventilation design for tunnel construction (mining and major temporary surface infrastructure for fume and dust control, and emergency management).
- Risk assessment and fire life safety design.